Friday, February 6, 2009

Retro Blog - Running Friends

I put the following blog on my myspace page on March of 2008. I may have already said a few of the same things on my first blog here, but I like the blog so I wanted to post it.

Thank You.... Running Friends.
3/9/2008 - Today I got back home from Jacksonville FL. A good friend of mine, Jenny made the trip with me this year to run the Gate River Run. The race was great and I had a blast. It inspired what I'm about to write.


My Mom has been an amazing running parter since she got back into it in about 2004. My Mom has been running off and on for about 20 years. She had been out of it for quite a while when her desire to be healthier along with me nagging her got her back on the road. For a few years we ran independently due to us living an hour away from each other. Now that we live close by, we share weekend training runs and lots of races. She can't make the weekday runs due to her work schedule. Mom and I can run for an hour and talk the whole time about everything and nothing. I am so thankful to be able to run with the woman who gave birth to me... yeah that may sound a bit cheesy... but it's true. I love you Mom!

Rod, an ex-neighbor and ex-coworker, but still a good friend that I learned early shared my intrest in running for fitness. The two of us trained a lot together in 2006 and 2007. We trained for a few races togther, including the Gate River Run last year. I think he's the most motovational training partner I could ask for. We could run a fast 4 mile run where I thought I was gonna die, but he'd talk non stop the whole time about whatever he was passionate about at the moment. He is MIA right now due to a new job... but I'm sure he'll be back one day.

Starting in October of '07 I've been so lucky to have even more people come into my life that have a joy for running (or at least the results from it!). Jenny asked one night at a party if she could join me on my 4:30AM runs and of course that was WONDERFUL for me. For a week or two it was just the two of us girls. Soon after, her her hubby G (Robert) and a friend of ours Chuck were lacing up and freezing out there with us. So, for the most part the three of them crazy peeps are by my side (or somewhere ahead or behind) sweating before the sun rises.

Jenny is an amazing woman in my eyes. She is sweet, kind hearted and strong... She had knee surgery (ACL) approx. 9 months ago and now she's running in 9 mile races like nothing ever happened. I want to be like her when I grow up.. haha, she's just a few years older than me... but she does inspire me.

G... well all I'm gonna say is I'm gonna keep on keepin on with his long legged a$$. And Chuck is our comic relief! He's always coming up with something crazy and he makes me look forward to any run when I know he's showing up. But reguardless of his antics... I'm SO proud of him and his determination to run. He has improved so much over the past few months and I can see him running a 15K and even further with us in the very near future. He just might not know it yet.

I also have to thank 3 other people who are not training partners... but important just the same. Barry who never says a word about the time I put into training, who is with Shyenne so I can be out there running.. he takes pictures at races and believes that I can reach all of my goals. Shyenne, of course my little pumpkin head... she's my biggest fan!

My Dad has to be in here too... he was a Marine for 30 years, during that time he ran.... A LOT... not always by choice I'm sure. But he has run many many races, from 5K's to the Marine Corps Marathon. So I guess running is in my blood.

Then there's Dennis, who claims to want to join our pre dawn jaunts... and Tim who will soon be training for the Byron 5K. Bring it on boys!

SO...... to those of you who accompany me in my love for the running the road. Thank you and I love you all. Running would not be the same without those of you I can share my accomplishments with.

Ok, Back to present:

Now that I just re-read that I must update a few things. Rod, I still havn't run with him in forever. He works about an hour away from home now and we just kinda lost touch.

Jenny, G, & Dennis ended up running 3 half marathons in 3 months in Jacksonville (Tri 2B Tuff Challenge) last winter. Go Them! They are great running friends. They still get to run the 4:30 AM runs, but I can't anymore, due to the fact that my work schedule changed to 4 - 10 hour shifts where I have to leave my house at 6AM to get to work. SUX. I'm on a PM training schedule now, don't like it but it's better than nothing.

Dennis, Me, Jenny, G - Soaked after Cherry Blossom 15K last year.



Barry, well, we divorced last spring soon after my post ('bout May). I'm not going to go into all of that. But he was a great supporter of my running. My little girl Shy, she think's it's cool that I run and I think she wants to get out there and join me. I've let her run 1/4 mile jogs a few times. She'll be 8 in April so I might start letting her run more soon.

Chuck, who ran with us in the mornings... well we're living together now! I must say it's neat to have a boyfriend/running partner all rolled into one. Something I'd always wanted, now here it is. He has made tremendous improvements since he first started. I'm very proud of him.

Me & Chuck - Jan 09 in Bruswick.

My Mom is still running! She runs with us on the weekends. She's da bomb. She can go 4 months without running and jump back in no problem. My Dad, he has reported to me that he's back into running, his doctor told him to lose about 20 lbs.... which he's done. We are throwing around the idea of us running the Rock & Roll half together in Sept. in VA Beach. He lives up in Maryland. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers