Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Great news from the Doc.

Yesterday morning I had my follow up visit with my podiatrist. 

I was so nervous sitting on that table waiting for her to come in and give me the verdict.  I knew that the pain was gone.  Really, I can walk barefooted and no heel pain.  In shoes, no heel pain.  I can do a one legged calf raise on the injured foot, no pain.  I can walk on my toes, no pain.  All of the original symptoms I had were gone.  Thanks to REST, the stupid boot, meds, and physical therapy. 

Knowing all of that, I was STILL scared that she'd tell me to wait longer to run.  Or that she'd move my foot around and it would hurt somewhere new.  Ok yeah, I was being neurotic... I can't help it.

Survey Says:  Kat can start running next week!  She said I can ween myself off of the boot for the rest of this week and start walking on the treadmill for exercise.  I'm thrilled to know that the end is near.  My only fear now is that once I start running again the pain will come right back.  My remedy for that will follow.

I do want to go back and say that I've been keeping up with my non-running training nicely.

Week 3 of Injury (Jan 11 -17)
  • Swimming Total: 1 Hr 40 Min. 2,000 meters
  • Elliptical Total: 1 Hr
  • Stationary Bike Total: 30 Min.
Total Cardio: 3 Hr. 10 Min.
*I also lifted weights and trained Abs 4 days this week.

Week 4 of Injury (Jan 18 - Jan 24)
  • Swimming Total: 55 Min.
  • Elliptical Total: 1 Hr. 30 Min.
  • Stationary Bike: 30 Min.
  • Arc Trainer: 1 Hr.
Total Cardio: 3 Hr. 55 Min.
*Lifted weights / Abs 3 days this week.

As of today, I'm on 5 full weeks of Rest.  I'm doing good at the gym so far this week too.  Tonight I teach my body blitz class, afterwards I'm going to treat myself to a nice 30 min. walk on the treadmill.  Fun stuff!

I think I did a decent job holding onto my cardio fitness as well as my sanity over the last few weeks.  I'm looking forward to running my first race of the year... the Sweetheart 5K.  I usually run the 12K, but this year I'm scaling back, not only on the distance but also on the speed.  I think I'll just treat this run as a tempo run.  Not all out race pace!

Now, back to my re-entry as a runner plans.  I'm following RC's direction.  I am going to start back to Daniel's Training phases.  This time I'll officially start with Phase One.  I've got Phase 1 - 4 tenatively planned out through the end of May.  More to come once those plans are firmed up.

My next post, should once again be a post about RUNNING!

1 comment:

  1. Kat, like you said play it smart and remember to treat your feet with respect and to listen to what they have to say cause those are the only ones you have. Never treat any pain as it will just pass. You were very smart to go to the doctor and I see you are becoming a smarter and stronger runner. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Followers