Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Who's That Girl

Running on the treadmill at the gym last night?  Me, yep, me. 

I was cleared by the Dr. last week to start back to running this week.  I could have done my first run on Monday night I guess.  I waited until Tuesday night because running Monday would have messed up my running every other day plan. 

Last night I got to the gym and walked 30 minutes at about 4mph on the treadmill.  Chuck and I then worked chest and triceps.  We threw in a few core exercises for fun.  Then it was go time.  Time to see if I was fully rested, healed, and ready to go!

I stepped up on the treadmill, fastened my mp3 player, set up my garmin to track my HR, and set the speed to about 3.5 to warm up for about 5 minutes.  My heart was beating fast and I felt so nervous.  Just as nervous as if I was about to run a race!  I just focused on my music and the cooking show on the gym TV and chilled out.  Warmed up and stretched.  Let's do this.  I set the speed to 5.5mph (about a 10:55 min mile)  Ran at that pace for a mile, then went to 5.7 for a mile, and ended at 5.8 (10:20 min mile) for the 3rd mile. 

The run felt great.  I never got tired.  I had no heel pain.  I felt like ME again. 

When Chuck and I got on the treadmills they were crowed, so he got on one about 3 or 4 down from me.  By the halfway point of my 3 miles most of the other people had finished and the treadmills cleared out.  I looked over at Chuck and smiled.  I big REAL smile, the kind that you can't stop even if you wanted to.  Not smiling because your supposed to.  I was smiling because I was truely happy.  Even when I turned away to make sure I didn't fly off the back of the treadmill.  I couldn't quit grinning!  I realized I must look like a total dork with that smile pasted on my face sweating like crazy running on the treamill. Oh well.

Well that's it.  I did it.  Now I feel like I can start planning and look forward to a smart balanced training program.  I'll run 3 miles again on Thursday night.  I hope all goes well.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are back. You will probably be stronger now than you have been in a long time after taking the break.

    ReplyDelete

Followers