Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Fresh Start

As much as I've dreaded the arrival of Sat. Jan 16th for the past two weeks, the Museum of Aviation race ended up being a wonderful day for me!

If you have been reading this blog, you know running the Half Marathon {that I invested 12 weeks of hard training into} was sidelined by achillies tendonitis.  The only running I've done since Christmas is running my mouth, whining about NOT running. 

The day of my goal race (goal was to break 2 hours) snuck up on me sure enough. 

Last week Caryl posted on the Macon Tracks forum that she needed help stuffing packets on Friday.  Since I'm off on Fridays I decided to go out there and join in the helping.  Friday morning I got my workout in early, showered and headed out to the base.   I was quickly put to work folding shirts, then we teamed up and started assembly lines stuffing packets with the appropriate bib numbers and sized t-shirts.  3 hours flew by before I knew it and then I had to go pick up Shyenne from school.

While I was there on Friday I mentioned to Caryl that I might come in the morning, to help give out packets and do anything else they needed.  I KNEW that when Chuck's alarm went off for him to get up and get ready to go run, I would never go back to sleep.  I knew I'd stew and stew over not being able to run my race.  Why not go ahead and get up, get out there and at least participate in the race by helping out some more.

Mom was going to run the half marathon as well.  But on Thursday she started feeling very sick and had a chest cough.  On Friday when I mentioned going to the race she offered to watch the kids for us while we were gone. 

Saturday morning we got up at 4:30, got ready and headed to the base by 6AM.  I got to work right away handing out packets, taking ID's, and answering questions.  It was great seeing my running friends beforehand and wishing them a great race.  The announcers called runners to the starting line.  I gave Chuck a goodbye hug and good luck kiss and he left to go line up.  We were still putting everyone's ID's in alphabetical order.  Michele Archer said that she could use help handing out finishing medals, I had nothing else to do for the next 2 hours so I was on board.

Not only was volunteering at the race a rewarding experience, but I was able to see so much more by not running.  I got to watch the winners of the 5K and half marathon.  I got to watch RC and many other Tracksters finish. 


The best part was standing at the finish line when my sweetie Chuck came through.  Finishing in 2:07:17, a good 6 minutes faster than his half marathon time in Jacksonville this past October.  Being able to put the finisher medal on Chuck after his accomplishment made me feel great.  I would have never been able to do that had I run the race with him.    I found the sliver lining to my cloud : )




Now, that that's over with... I can stop whining and complaining!  Time to move on, focus on a fresh start. 

I go see the Dr. next tuesday, so I should only have a week left in this boot.  I should be able to resume my running soon after that.

I'm relying on RC's expertise as well as common sense this time.  I will start on Daniel's Phase 1 of training.  I will not over train.  I will focus on being balanced and staying injury free. 

Bring on the February races... even though I may not "race" them... I'll be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers