Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sweetheart 12K 3/20/10

This past saturday we finally got to run the Sweetheart 12K, which was originally scheduled on 2/13/10.  The race was rescheduled due to approximately 5 inches of snow.  Yes, we live in Georiga, NO we are not used to snow!

I'm glad the race was rescheduled.  I had signed up to run the 5K in February, becuase I had only been up to running for 2 weeks post injury at that time.  I changed our entries to the 12K once I knew the re-scheduled date.  Having run a 15K last weekend, I wasn't worried about the distance at all.

I decided that after not doing so well on the Geico 12K, I was going to PR on this one.  Not just a little PR, but go from 1:06:45 to 1:05.  To do this my mile splits would have to average at around an 8:45 pace. 

Race morning came around, and what do you know.  Normal "Kat with a Goal" wasn't grouchy?  Why, I have no clue.  I wasn't nervous, grouchy, cranky, irritable, Nothing.  Weird.  We got to the race about an hour early, socialized some, then ran about a 15 minute warm up.  The weather was perfect.  About 45 degrees, sunny, and no wind. 

The race started at 8:00 AM and we were off.  My splits were as follows:
1- 8:58
2- 8:47
3- 8:36
4- 8:44
5- 8:42
6- 8:53
7- 8:43
.21- 8:00

I wish I could have picked it up a bit on mile 6, I just lost my steam. 

So, you see this race was  7.21 according to my Garmin.  A 12K is 7.45, so the race was about .25 off.  That's ok though.  My Garmin time was 1:02:59, and let's just factor in another 2 mintues for the missed distance and that STILL put's me at a huge PR of 1:05 on the dot.  I'm taking it as a victory either way and I am very happy with my results!

This weekend will be a Race-Free weekend.  I'd like to get in a decent long run this weekend since there won't be a race to concentrate on.

Yesterday began Phase 3 of my training program.  I will get in my usual speedwork each week, as well as a Tempo run each week.  I'm going to be sure to get in my long runs in preparation for my May half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers