Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Reindeer Run 5K 2009

The Turkey Trots are behind us, bring on the Christmas holiday season! I started out right with my 3rd running of the Reindeer Run in Macon. To be extra festive I put together a little elf costume to wear for the race.


My Step Mom Michele was in town for the weekend so we were able to bring Shyenne and Chuck’s little boy Chase to the race. Michele was there for moral support and to keep an eye on the kids. The kids ended up being excellent race photographers.



As for performance expectations on this race, I wasn’t geared up for a PR. Having run the race before I knew there were a few challenging hills. My goal for the race was to at least get close to my PR, in the 24 min. range would suit me fine.


Chuck, Mom, Michele, Shy, Chase & myself got to the race about an hour early. Chuck and I headed out to warm up. We needed to warm up our muscles for the race, plus it was just COLD out and I didn’t have much covering my legs. We got in about 2 miles before the race started.




RACE TIME! I wasn’t nervous for this one. Just excited and jumping around. The race started on an incline, and stays on an incline…. For what seems like the first 2 miles! I had a hard time keeping my pace anywhere below an 8:00 pace. But I held it steady. Around mile 2 I saw my fellow age grouper Amy and decided that if I could keep her in my sight than I would end up with a decent time.


Running the final stretch of the race I saw Michele, Shy, & Chase cheering and taking pictures. It was great to see them at the end like that. I saw the time clock up ahead, I was in the 24 min. range. I pushed out all I had left in me to keep it under 25. My Garmin read 24:47, the official race results say 24:51.


I am very pleased with this race. It was a strong effort. It was a hilly course. I came in very close to my old PR… something I’ve done twice since I started training under RC’s guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers