Monday, November 2, 2009

Improvements?

4 Weeks of serious focused training down, 11 Weeks to go… until my next half marathon.

I have mixed feelings about my training at this point. I’ve been following my prescribed paces, doing my easy runs, my quality runs, and my long runs. For some reason I still wonder it that’s enough?

I know that it’s probably just self doubt. If I did any more, it would probably be classified as overtraining.

I still can’t help but feel that I’m missing something. Yet when I go back over my log book and my run paces I can’t find any thing that I think I’m doing wrong either?

Maybe I’m just being impatient. I ran aimlessly for 6 years. Now that I am concentrating on really being a better runner, I want it to happen RIGHT NOW!

Even after typing that last paragraph, I know that I am a better runner, now than I was 4 weeks ago. So, I’ll just calm down, continue doing what RC says, be strong, be focused and meet my goals.

Two runs this week proved to me how much I have improved already.
***Pic of Chuck & me, looking not so happy to be up early on a Saturday.***

Jay’s Hope 5K:
I went into this race not expecting to come out with a new PR. Most likely because I knew that a portion of the course would be off road. I’ve run trails enough to know that being off the asphalt SUCKS time off your pace. I did however, want to run a race, preferably with negative splits… and run the race knowing I did my best on that particular day on that particular course.

As for negative splits, can I say “kinda”?
Mile 1 – 8:02
Mile 2 – 8:09 Hmmmm???
Mile 3 – 7:56
.15 – 7:26

The beginning of the course was a gravel road that went at least a half mile down hill slightly, then we turned around and went right back up the hill on gravel road. Yuck.

Did I run the race that morning, the best I could considering the course? I think so. No need to beat myself up about my performance, because at no point while running did I just ease up because it hurt. I pushed as hard as I could push that day.

As far as my finishing time, unofficially being 25:16 (according to my Garmin). Well, it’s slower than my Race for the Cure time last weekend. BUT BUT BUT BUT… it’s faster than every other 5K that I’ve run all from Jan to Oct this year. That’s something to be happy about right?

Regardless of my time, split paces, etc… I had a great time. Chuck, Mom & me enjoyed the whole event. From our crunchy pre-race warm up and strides (that I have to MAKE them do). To the race itself, to hanging out afterwards eating Chick-Fil-A biscuits talking with friends. It was great! OH, and let me not forget that I placed second in my age group!

My race, although not spectacular by any means or a PR did, in my opinion show an improvement in my running over the last 10 months. My long run the next day was more telling.

We (Chuck, Mom & Me) met out at the loop with the Macon Tracks at 7:15 in the cold windy weather to get our long run of the week in. 11 miles were on tap for the morning. My plan was to run the first 6 at my new easy pace of 10:20 – 9:40, starting at the slower end and ending toward the faster end. Then I would run 3 miles at marathon pace, which is now 8:53. Finishing the last two miles at a 9:40 pace, or possibly less. Giving me a negative split run.

I did it, exactly as I planned. I couldn’t be happier to have run 11 miles at a 9:36 pace overall. Not to lose my steam at the end of a long run like I used to. This shows that my efforts are producing results.

I can’t wait to see what the next 11 weeks have in store. I’m ready though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers