Monday, November 23, 2009

I blew out the candles!

Blew out what candles? Nope, it's not my birthday. It's not my daughter's or Chuck's birthday either. Then what cake am I talking about? It was the cake for my freakin' pity party!


As I type this I think I'm pretty much over it. Party's over, the mess is cleaned up.


I know we've all had our horrible accounts of "the worst run ever". They don't come very often. When they do it's like it's the worst it's ever been. Then a few days later you run again, your legs are light, your lungs are clear, your thoughts are free and easy. It's like the bad run never happened. Sort of like the pain of childbirth. You just forget.

Today I'll just share with you my pitiful almost long run from yesterday. Only because I know, in just a few days, I'll be able to post again about a much, much better run.

It all started Saturday night. Chuck and I went out to dinner with one of his old high school friends. I ate greasy fattening wings and steak quesadillas, drank (just one) beer and had a big chocolate peanut butter dessert. My tummy can be very sensitive anyway when it comes time to run. But eating all that crap the night before, never helps.

I woke up Sunday morning at 5 to get ready for the 14 mile run I had planned to run out at the loop. I had my paces all planned out for each mile. But honestly my heart just wasn't in it. I looked at the temp on my computer. It read 52 degrees. I'm thinking, we usually run in the low to mid 40's. In that weather I can handle shorts and a long sleeved shirt. It's warmer today so I'll just wear shorts and a tee-shirt. Little did I know, it was windy and raning. Both conditions I know I'm perfectly capable of enduring. This morning however, I was NOT feeling it... at all. Chuck and I walked downstairs and I just stopped before we went out into the weather and said "do we really want to do this?". See, Chuck had not run for about 4 days due to his achilles tendon bothering him. He said lets just go and get it over with.

We get to the loop, I still am only wearing shorts and a tee shirt, but I had grabbed a jacket since it was so windy. We get out, suck it up and start the run. Nothing really hurt, except a little twinge in my shins that has been bothering me for about a week. Once I started to get warm my jacket was really getting on my nerves. It wasn't a running jacket, it was loose and baggy. I didn't want to tie it around my waist. I didn't want to throw it on the ground. I was thinking, I can't handle dealing with this stupid jacket for two hours. Then, during the middle of a great pointless hip hop song with a great beat... I dont know... a good one about stippers and $500 in ones. Yeah, during the song my MP3 player stops. I glance down. The screen is blank, it won't come on. Uggghhh..dead battery. I do not want to run for the next two hours with an annoying jacket and Nothing to listen to. I'm griping to Chuck and wanting to stop. Wanting to but knowing that I really wont. I run on for a few more minutes. Then glance down to check out my pace. Guess what? My garmin screen is blank. I fidget with it and manage to press the right combination of buttons to get the stupid thing reset. It restarts, only to show that I'm running a 1 minute mile pace. Ok, I know I'm training to run faster and all, but come on.

Then the screen goes blank again. I just stop, turn around and start walking. Fuming a the stupid garmin. Chuck realizes that I've dipped and he turns around and says he's at least going to run back to the car. I don't. I'm going to walk. I'm pissed. I take off my Garmin and throw the stupid thing in the street. Chuck hears it hit, turns around, picks it up and fusses at me for being immature and keeps running.

I spent the next half mile walking back to the car. Feeling sorry for myself. Feeling embarrased to have thown a watch that cost over $150.00 in the road. Wanting to run my 14 mile run. NOT wanting to run my 14 mile run. Then, while I was at it I just started crying. I kept this thought process going until Chuck had gotten the car and headed my way to pick me up. I got in the car and not a word was spoken all the way back to Byron.

The rest of my Sunday consisted of me laying on the couch and reading a VERY good book. It's called "the Help". Great book. I iced my shins every hour or so and was a lazy bum.

I topped it all off with eating donuts for breakfast this morning and then pizza for lunch today. Not only did I forego my planned long run yesterday, I managed to eat probably 3 days worth of calories in about 6 hours. Go Me!

Now that it's written, and shared. I can say I'm over it.

Thanks to Chuck, my Mom, RC & the Grasshopper for the support & encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers