Monday, September 21, 2009

Jacksonville Prep



Somehow or another, time has had a way of sneaking up on me and suddenly here I am. Less than 2 weeks away from my first Half Marathon. On Oct. 3rd we will be in Jacksonville, FL running the Marine Corps Half Marathon.




For some odd reason I am not nervous in the least bit. Not one bit. Maybe because I know I can run 13 miles. I have not figured up a strict mile split plan yet. The only guidelines that I’ve given myself for this race, is to run it in 2 hours or less. This averages out to a 9:10 – 9:15 minute mile. I think I’m just going to get out there on race morning and see how I feel and go with the flow. It will be my first half ever so I’ll be proud of myself as long as I finish and I know I did my best.

Since the Labor Day Road Race I have been making my weekly running plans and following them for the most part. I’ve taken a few extra rest days due to some tightness in my right hip. It isn’t painful so I’ve just been icing it some and not pushing too much.

Chuck and I finally joined the Macon Tracks Running Club. We got to meet a lot of the people that keep the club “running” while working with them on the LDRR. They are all so friendly and we’ve all got common goals, we figured it only made since to join up officially.

We’ve also committed ourselves to join them every Tuesday (as schedules/kids allow) and push ourselves on the track doing speed work to see how our race results can improve. I’m really looking forward to that.

Secondly, for the camaraderie as well as a change in scenery, we are going to join the running group for their long run out on “The Loop”. Well, this won’t be an every week thing for us since we will always have our kids every other weekend. But, on the weekends we are childless, we will be there to run!

Our first run of The Loop was yesterday. Our intention was to run the whole 12 miles, in preparation for the ½. We did it, although we weren’t expecting quite so many hills. Did I mention that we were the “slow pack” of the group? Oh well, that’s what the Tuesday track sessions are for right?

One more bit of exciting news!!!! I got a new goodie for my birthday coming up. Michele sent me a Garmin 305 with a heart rate monitor. I’ve been drooling over a new one and I used it for the first time yesterday. Well, I didn’t hook up the HR monitor. I didn’t want to run 12 miles for the first time with something strange strapped around my chest!!! I was scared it would rub on me. I’ll give it a try for the first time on a much shorter run!

Plans for tonight are an easy 3 on the treadmill. Gotta get the crunchies out of my body from yesterday’s workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers